Be Open on Breastfeeding Salford (B.O.O.B.S) and our sister project BOOBS in Bury are open community groups set up to empower women to be open about their breastfeeding experiences and inspire others to breastfeed for longer. We believe every mum should have the chance to have a happy, safe and comfortable breastfeeding journey.
BOOBS is part of our parent social enterprise Visit from the Stork CIC and was first set up in 2014 by CEO Kimberly Bond. The project is led by Rachel Parkinson (Project Manager), Kerry Purle (Administrator and Peer support lead) and our team of amazing volunteers. Meet our team here.
We support mums by;
- Offering online and face-to-face breastfeeding support across Salford and Bury,
- Running monthly social and educational Breastfeeding cafe events at our BOOBS Approved venues in Salford and Bury
- Holding antenatal ‘A BOOBS introduction to Breastfeeding’ sessions for mums-to-be, currently in Prestwich but open to all mums.
- Pram walks and small meetups in Radcliffe, Bury
- Campaigning for mums to be supported in the community through our BOOBS Approved campaign.
- Offering a membership scheme with exclusive discounts at our BOOBS venues to support families and local businesses.
- Voice – we will always advocate for our clients, campaign for more support for breastfeeding mothers and shout as loud as we can about what changes are needed for the next generation. We will support mums in Salford and Bury to voice what they need to have a happy and safe breastfeeding journey.
- Communication – we believe communication is key to a successful breastfeeding journey. We will always give real information in our breastfeeding education posts and classes about the realities of different breastfeeding journeys and what to expect. We will teach mums the importance of communicating with their baby and support system.
- Initiating social change – Our campaigns and work aim to make a real long-term difference in our communities through improvements in breastfeeding rates and confidence in breastfeeding women in Salford.
- Challenging the status quo – we want things to change and not stay the same. We will challenge anything that means local women and children are not getting the support they deserve.
We launched this website in 2017 with the help of Awards for All funding and we’re aiming for it to be the go-to place for information and breastfeeding support in Salford and Bury (with a new update November 2021).
Our BOOBS Approved campaign has seen over 100 venues in Salford pledge to be a safe and comfortable place for mums to breastfeed without having to spend a penny (although we do hope you will support them when you can) and we have now launched BOOBS Approved in Bury borough too. You can find your nearest BOOBS venue using our maps for Salford and for Bury.
Our tier 2 BOOBS venues also offer an exclusive discount to our members – which anyone can be a part of for just £15 lifetime membership.
In 2018, we started attending community events with our BOOBS play garden, on a mission to speak to as many mums as possible about their breastfeeding experiences and creating a safe space for parents and toddlers to sit down and talk to us. We also launched our BOOBS Cafe events, with the first one being at Ordsall Cafe in Salford.
In 2019 we launched our volunteer-led community peer support service, partnering with the Sling libraries and Dance Like a Mother to create a support system in our BOOBS venues in Salford. We supported over 120 mums in our first year of providing 1:1 support.
In 2020, when lockdown hit and our BOOBS venues had to close due to Covid-19, we switched to focusing on online support. We launched our webchat peer support service in June 2020 and it is now available Mon-Friday 10-1 pretty much every week of the year. We also launched BOOBS in Bury to support parents in Bury borough – from Prestwich through to Tottington.
We’re now back open again offering 1:1 support out in our partner venues, monthly cafe events, as well as our new antenatal classes and pram walks.
We are always on the look out for volunteers and mums wanting to get involved in our future plans, so please contact us via social media or firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested, or if there is any way we can support you.